Tuesday 1 July 2014

Hot Rod & Street Machine Spectacular 2014

 
 
I have to say, the Hot Rod and Street Machine Spectacular 2014 is one of the most enjoyable car shows that I have been to. The event organisers really proved that a completely successful static display of vehicles can be done over here in the west, without the need to fill a burnout pad with smoke to attract the punters. I had planned on spending just a couple of hours there in the morning, catching up with some mates that I hadn't seen in a while - but I ended up staying all day until the show closed. I absolutely loved it!

Typically, I have been all about car shows with plenty of smoke, blowers, noise and action, but I have had a big change of heart in recent months. After spending a bit of time with some owners and their cars throughout the first half of the year, I have certainly developed a much greater appreciation for the work that goes in to these machines. There really is so much more than meets the eye with any modified vehicle, and you can also guarantee that there is a story worth telling to go along with it. Whether you bought the car when you were 15, or bought it yesterday, there is always a story.

There were plenty of hotrods and customs on display, an army of our top burnout cars, a brilliant lowrider display, offroad vehicles, model cars and some of our toughest street machines - some of which were still 'in the build'. There were plenty of familiar faces there too, and it was really great to chat with some of the guys I haven't seen in a while.

I learnt a hell of a lot about the design aspect of a build whilst wandering around the Robinson Pavilion too, and I gained a much greater understanding and appreciation for some of the top level show cars. The lengths that some people go to when building these cars is simply mindblowing! There was some seriously impressive engineering on display, some wild paintjobs, immaculate engine bays and super stylish interiors. I reckon it takes a lot of vision, a lot of imagination and a lot of planning to combine all the different elements of a build - and do it tastefully.
 
Anyway, have a flick through my photos to get a taste of what was there this year, and make sure you check it out next year!





I'm a big fan of this A Model Roadster - built in a traditional, 'less is more' style, it really ticked all the boxes for me!

 
Dave Cleary scored an invite to Motorex with his supercharged and airbrushed Commodore, 'Sickle'. The detail in the airbrush work is seriously impressive - the car is covered in characters from Horror movies!










David Cocciolone's 1974 Mazda RX2 Cappella (I hope I spelt all that correctly!) was on display for the first time since it underwent a major rebuild. The tough, rotary powered Mazda looked immaculate, and David won 'Best Displayed Vehicle' for his efforts.



This cool Pro Touring Camaro from the SRM camp certainly gets the stamp of approval!






The setup in the boot of this Lowrider Impala really is something else. Take a minute or three to take it all in...



Out of all the Lowriders on display, this bright orange Impala is my favourite - its clean and tidy, and that colour stands out a mile away. I could see myself cruising in this!



I cannot remember for the life of me what this model club was called, but there were some super cool models on display - from FED's to hotrods, to classics and customs, and even planes and tanks.














This '33 Ford Coupe was one of my favourite Hot Rods at the show. I loved the wheel combo, the paintwork, the 'late model' blown engine and those pipes...




Ashley Jackson's crazy Lowrider Impala always turns heads. I can only begin to imagine how many hours must go in to a paintjob like that!






James England, better known as 'ProShine', had his super cool airbagged Toyota Crown on display. You don't see too many cars like this around Perth!



The ITP Race Cars GT40 was a huge hit with the punters. The GT40 has to be one of the most iconic, and best looking vehicles ever produced, and this is a perfect example. The guys really had to dig deep too, pulling an all-nighter to get this to the show on time!




Craig Moars big block powered Valiant is one tough bit of gear.
 
This 'in the build' Falcon Coupe, also part of the ITP Race Cars display, is destined for the burnout pad! With a huge engine combo planned, and plenty of show to match the go, I really can't wait to see the finished product.




I first layed eyes on this DeTomaso Pantera last year at Antilags RaceWars - it looks just as good standing still as it does when its going flat out.



This '53 Chev is just...perfect...The paintwork on this always spins me out - I just love that colour!


 




There were a heap of these super cool scaled down hot rods on display. For a fraction of the price of the real thing you can buy one of these - and with an electric motor in the back they drive too!

I have never seen a Gen 2 Mustang before. It kind of looks like a Camaro if you squint?



 
Brent Tanian's BA Falcon, on show at the Cronic Customs display, was definitely one of the wildest vehicles from the weekend. The work that has gone in to the Falcon really has to be seen to be believed - from the crazy 14/71 blown small block up the front, to the twin 5" (yep, 5"!) polished exhaust system out the back, to the air jacks built in to the tube chassis...there is some serious engineering that has gone in to this car. The ride height that you see here will be the final ride height too - and not an airbag or hydraulic hose in sight. Adam and the guys at Cronic's have modified the front wheel track, so full wheel lock can be achieved without scrubbing the guards.  Everything that you look at just oozes quality, and a well thought out planning process. Brent's Falcon will be an absolute showstopper when it is completed - and can you believe it is a burnout car!? I cannot wait to see this finished and tearing up the pad once it has completed the show circuit. 



Matt James had his killer blown Compact Fairlane on display - another burnout weapon in the build. It would seem Cronic Customs have made a bit of a habit of turning out tough Fords!

No comments:

Post a Comment