Saturday 28 June 2014

Goodwin's Garage


I've been down Albany Hwy, through Vic. Park countless times with my dad over the years, and every now and again he would mention how his dad owned a workshop down near the Causeway many, many years ago. We would usually discuss how great the location would be today, then spend a few minutes discussing the motorcycle dealerships and the flash looking Monadelphous building, and that would be it for the next 12 months until we went past it again.

I never really thought too much about the workshop other than those brief conversations. I wasn't even really sure what kind of workshop it was to be honest. This afternoon, however, I was searching through Google trying to find a possible location, or at least somewhere to start looking for a location for a photoshoot. Somehow, I stumbled across this photo on Phil Schuberts Flickr Photostream - the only reason I really clicked on it is because I like trucks and other old vehicles, and I'm always fascinated about how things were done in years gone by. After reading through the comments I determined that this was some kind of brand new low loader trailer in the photo, and it was taken in the 1950's...then I noticed a comment that described the location as being Vic. Park...then I noticed 'Goodwin's Garage' in the background and it all starting falling in to place - was this a photo of the actual workshop that my grandad owned, that my dad had told me about? I called him in to take a look, and yep, that was the workshop on the corner of Oswald St and Albany Hwy in Vic Park! Dad told me a couple of quick stories  - he described the inspection pits in the workshop, a tank that was used to test radiators for leaks (that he used to sail toy boats in instead), and a big welding machine that would give him a boot every time he touched it.

I did a couple more searches on Google and found this article below from The West Australian in 1929. It describes a burglary at a workshop at 99 Albany Hwy, owned by William Asher Goodwin (my grandads name is Eric Asher Goodwin, 'Bill' is my dads grandad). The address is in roughly the same location as the photo above.

I have to admit, I don't know an awful lot about the history of our family name, but after accidentally stumbling across these links to the past i will certainly endeavour to find out more.


No comments:

Post a Comment